The Institute of Physics library was setup in 1974 and started functioning in the year 1975. It started with 1700 books and back volumes of 24 journals, with 17 current journals. 1981 was a landmark year. The Institute shifted from a rented accommodation to a newly constructed office building which housed the office, library, laboratory etc. The present Library shifted to its new building on August 27, 1996.
The present Library is built on an area of 22,000 sq. ft. and is a centrally airconditioned building. It is furnished with modern furnitures. It has 13 research cubicles in the first floor of the library for the users. The ground floor houses the Book Section, Current Journals and Circulation counter. The first floor houses the Back Volumes of Journals, Conference and Lecture Hall.
The library uses LibSys Software for cataloguing, circulation, accounting and acquisition of books and journals. The users are also provided with the services of Crystal Software (for books) and PASS (for publications).
The library has services like, acquisition of books, journals and microdocuments, resource sharing among DAE units, publication assistance, reference and reprographic service for the Institute members.
The library is open for 24 hours. The database of the books and journals are available on the WEB for the users The users of the library includes all the Institute members. It also extends services to members from various colleges and universities of the state of Orissa.The library facilities are also extended to summer and temporary visitors of the Institute. Practical classes for Masters in Library Science of universities of Orissa are being regularly conducted here.